Real Estate Syndication and Checkbook IRAs & Checkbook 401(k) Plans are the perfect match! Real estate syndicators raise capital for real estate deals and Self-Directed Retirement Accounts could, potentially, provide ~$28,000,000,000,000 to investment sponsors. Checkbook Control Retirement Accounts are the ideal bridge between those that need investment capital and those that have investable tax-sheltered assets.
Just posted and already has hundreds of downloads! Listen at The Real Blue Spruce.
On this episode with Adam A. Adams, get answers to:
- What is real estate private lending?
- How can I earn passive income through private lending?
- What are the risks of private lending?
- What are some private lending strategies?
- How to protect your private lending investment?
- How can I invest in private lending TAX-FREE with a Checkbook IRA/401K?
- How can I leverage my IRA/401k to get into real estate investing?
- How can I leverage private lending to learn how to invest in real estate?
- Crypto-to-Crypto Capital Gains
- Crypto-to-Fiat Taxation
- Taxation of crypto-gifting
- Taxation of crypto-mining
- Crypto-tax for non-US citizens
- Business entities for crypto-investing and trading – LLCs and C-corps
- Tax treatment of inherited cryptocurrency
- 1031 like-kind exchanges for crypto-to-crypto transactions: Utility Tokens vs Digital Currency (Bitcoin, Monero, Ethereum, Zcash, etc.)
- Tax Basis Calculations: FIFO, LIFO, HIFO, Specific Identification, Average Cost
- Taxation of ICOs – Initial Coin Offerings
- Hard Forks, Air Drops
- The Cryptocurrency Tax Fairness Act
- Ordinary income vs. short-term gain vs. long-term gain
- Tax-free retirement accounts (Solo 401K, Checkbook IRA-LLC) for crypto investing
- The IRS and Virtual Currency: Chainalysis, Coinbase John Doe Summons
- FBAR (FinCEN 114), FATCA
Checkbook IRAs require a self-directed IRA custodian according to Section 408 the Tax Code, in contrast with Solo 401K Plans for which no independent custodian is necessary. Following is a comprehensive and hyperlinked list of SDIRA custodians. Note: Not all trust companies listed below are checkbook-control friendly.
In this live radio broadcast, we discussed the fundamentals of Cryptocurrency taxation and tax-free Cryptocurrency retirement account investing. If you’d like to invest tax efficiently in Bitcoin (BTC), Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), Bitcoin mining, and any other Blockchain venture, this podcast will give you the basics for doing so with Checkbook SDIRA and Solo 401K Plans.
The IRS published guidance regarding the tax treatment of virtual currencies in IRS Notice 2014-21. Cryptocurrency transactions, even when no “fiat” is received, are taxable events. For example, if a crypto investor trades Bitcoin for Ethereum, he may owe taxes on that trade – but the transaction will not have provided any US Dollars with which to pay the tax liability (the IRS does not yet accept crypto payment of taxes).
Crypto-mining has particularly unfavorable tax treatments as ordinary income. Self-directed retirement accounts, when properly structured, can be used to significantly improve the tax results of mining operations.
2017 was an exciting year – from the explosive emergence of Cryptocurrency to Tax Reform – we in the Self-Directed IRA community have had a stake in the evolution of the investment and tax landscape. In this post we’ll highlight how 2017 regulatory events relate to Checkbook IRA investors and provide some year-end IRA-LLC planning pointers. Continue reading “Checkbook IRA: Year-End 2017”